Aleo is a Hero character encountered in the second part of The Banner Saga.
|Base – Max||Stat|
|9 / 11|
|10 / 12|
|6 / 10|
|2 / 3|
|1 / 3|
|Start rank||Free points|
Background[edit | edit source]
As fearless as he is flamboyant, Aleo embodies the boldness of the heroes in the sagas he knows by heart. Though a skald by profession, his devotion to protecting his wife and children fuels this poet's sword arm.
Active Ability: Tale Worth Telling[edit | edit source]
The Skald exults his target to feats of strength and heroism. His words buff an ally for 1 round, adding 1 Strength damage for every 2 Strength the enemy is above the target ally (rounded down). The boasts have no effect if the buffed ally attacks an enemy of equal or lower strength, so picking the right target is important.
Rank 1: Buff an ally within 2 tiles
Rank 2: Buff an ally within 4 tiles
Rank 3: Buff an ally within 6 tiles
Tale Worth Telling also adds a 'never-miss' (100% to-hit chance) buff to the Skald's ally, for his next attack.
Example: If the buffed ally is at 2STR and attacks a 15STR/9ARM enemy, the damage done will be 7 with 100% chance, instead of 1 with 30%, plus any Willpower added. In this example, the +6 bonus is calculated as [(15-2)/2]↓.
Active Ability: Insult[edit | edit source]
- Aleo gains Sparr's active ability, Insult, as his second when promoted to Rank 6.
The Skald delivers an insult so cutting and personal that the target is literally stunned for a moment and has to pause to collect himself. Insulted enemies move to the last place of the enemy initiative queue. Take care in picking the right target to delay from acting - keep in mind that any persistent effects started by the target will remain until the target's next turn - and even the most powerful enemy will become as harmless as a mouse.
Rank 1: Insult an enemy within 2 tiles
Rank 2: Insult an enemy within 5 tiles
Rank 3: Insult an enemy within 8 tiles
Passive Ability: Skald's Song[edit | edit source]
The Skald adds +1 Willpower to all allies if standing within two tiles of an ally who delivers a killing blow. Effective use of this ability will keep your Heroes from tiring in combat, so keeping the Skald in range of other fighters so he can move to them quickly is key.
Joining the Party[edit | edit source]
Aleo is the first new character encountered in the second part of The Banner Saga, in a small village outside Boersgard attacked by the Dredge. He always joins the caravan in the beginning of Chapter 8.
Possible Death or Departure[edit | edit source]
- Aleo follows the Skogr caravan, led by Rook or Alette, after the split in Ormsdalr.
- There is no event leading to Aleo's death or departure.
Playstyle[edit | edit source]
- Always keep the Skald close to the fray, so that he can sing about your Heroes' feats and buff your Party.
- Tale Worth Telling is best used on an ally that has been maimed. When it causes Critical hits (e.g. with Artery Strike Talent) boosted by high Willpower, it can do huge amounts damage; for instance, if a 2STR ally (near-death) is buffed and attacks a 15STR/9ARM enemy adding +3WIL to the attack, the damage caused will be 10 (or 20, if the hit is Critical!).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Aleo will often provide lore description when the caravan meets godstones and give advice in times of need.