We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
|Base – Max||Stat|
|14 / 17|
|10 / 12|
|6 / 10|
|1 / 3|
|2 / 3|
|Start rank||Free points|
|4||1 - 2|
Background[edit | edit source]
Folka's size, mind for strategy, and gall make her the unofficial second-in-command of the Ravens. As the only person alive who will challenge Bolverk's orders, the other mercenaries give her a wide berth whether she wants them to or not.
This brawny shieldmaiden has impressed Bolverk, the Ravens’ leader, with her fighting prowess and ability to shape the mercenaries into a more cohesive unit. She tempers Bolverk’s raging offense with cautionary counsel and actually listens to other members of the Ravens - a new concept in their loose management.
She has known Bolverk since she was a child.
Active Ability: Champion[edit | edit source]
* Folka starts with the Champion ability at Rank 2, as her Hero Rank is 4 when she joins the party.
- The Shieldmaiden stands ready to insert herself between her allies and any attacking enemy. Adjacent allies have all damage from attacks against them halved, but the Shieldmaiden also receives a half-damage attack from the same enemy.
- For maximum effect, keep as many allies adjacent to Folka as possible. When any adjacent ally is attacked, Champion will protect them, while using her Shield Mastery to Absorb Strength damage onto her Armor.
Active Ability: Shield Smash[edit | edit source]
* Folka gains Shield Smash when promoted to Rank 6.
- The Shieldmaiden smashes her shield against a single adjacent target. Target and all units adjacent to target (except Folka!), friend or foe, take normal Armor Break damage from the force of the attack according to the Shieldmaiden's BRK stat.
- Rank 1: +1 Break to target.
- Rank 2: +2 Break to target.
- Rank 3: +3 Break to target.
- Without her shield she loses her passive ability, Shield Mastery.
Passive Ability: Shield Mastery[edit | edit source]
- The Shieldmaiden's shield Absorbs all Strength damage onto her Armor until it is destroyed. She only starts taking Strength damage When her Armor is down to zero.
Joining the Party[edit | edit source]
Folka is first encountered in Aleo's village at the start of Chapter 8. She only becomes a playable character of the Ravens caravan at Chapters 9, 11 and 13. She becomes a member of Iver's party in Chapter 17 of The Banner Saga 3.
Possible Death or Departure[edit | edit source]
Folka cannot be killed in the second part of The Banner Saga.
Folka can die in The Banner Saga 3 should the player:
Fail to intervene when Folka confronts Bolverk
Fail to defeat Bolverk at the White Tower
Playstyle[edit | edit source]
- Folka makes an excellent pair with Bolverk, as she cannot be hit by his Frenzy (second) attacks.
- Shield Mastery works best with Armor regenerating Items, or using a Mender to back her up. It also makes the Shieldmaiden a late-game 'sweeper', as her Strength remains intact if she is carefully deployed.
- Champion should be used with care, as it can wear down Folka really fast if used to protect multiple and/or exposed low-Armor allies.
- Shield Smash requires good timing. Its optimal use is when Folka's ARM is nearly depleted and when it can damage multiple enemies.
- Folka combines extraordinarily well with the hero title "the Last Standing" as it boosts her armor up to twenty and regenerates it every turn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A four-part fan-fiction story about Folka, written by Nika Harper can be found here.
- Folka is the only unit belonging to the Shieldmaiden class.