These are the playable units in The Banner Saga: Factions. When you first arrive in Strand, you start with five base units (one Raider, two Archers, one Shieldbanger and one Warrior) and one promoted unit, Thrasher. As you fight and earn Renown, you can recruit more base-units and/or "upgrade" some of them to a promoted unit.
The base units, also referred to as Rank-0 units, cannot be named or re-statted and only have a passive ability. Base units are recruited at the Mead House.
When a base (Rank-0) unit reaches a specific amount of kills (5) it can be "upgraded" to a Rank-1 promoted class. Doing so has several advantages:
- You can choose a promoted class that has a special active ability, while also keeping its 'passive ability.
- You can name your character, or choose a name from the random-generator.
- You can add one stat-point and re-allocate points between its stats
When a Rank-1 (or Rank-2) unit reaches 15 (or 30) kills, it can be promoted to Rank-2 (or Rank-3). By further increasing the Rank of a unit, you have some more advantages:
- You can add one more stat-point per promotion.
- You have access to a more powerful version of the unit's active ability, costing 2 or 3 Willpower per use. You can always use the standard Rank-1 ability anytime.
This is a sortable-table where you can compare the stats of the currently available promoted-class units.
- Hit-Points is the sum of the Strength and Armor of a unit.
- Total = Strength + Armor + Willpower + Exertion + Break
- The max value for 'Total' corresponds to points available in a Rank-3 promotion.