Dredge Fire Slinger
General[edit | edit source]
Dredge Fire Slingers are an improved version of their weaker Slag Slinger 'cousins'. They don't have higher stats but they possess a powerful active ability, Shatterstone (see below), that is similar to Slag and Burn in some accounts.
They come in three ranks: regular, Flame and Inferno. The higher ranks, distinguished by different colors, are encountered later in the game or in the Hard difficulty setting.
Passive Ability: Back Off[edit | edit source]
- The random nature of Back Off makes Slingers hard to get, especially when you want to Break them and follow-up with a Strength attack.
- Always be cautious when attacking a Slinger. Back Off movement can expose your allies to attacks from back-line Dredge that were blocked by that Slinger!
- The exact conditions under which the Back Off passive triggers are not entirely clear; for example, Splinter damage does not trigger it, whereas Heavy Impact does.
- It seems that Back Off is triggered only once between two turns of a Slinger unit; hence, if a Slinger has already Backed Off, using e.g. a Spearman's Impale on it won't cause extra walking damage.
Active Ability: Shatterstone[edit | edit source]
The Fire Slinger reaches into its pouch and produces two blue-glowing rocks. It crushes them together and throws them at two tiles, occupied or not, in its normal attack-range. On the start of its next turn, both rocks explode dealing 2 Strength and 2 Armor damage to any unit (ally and enemy alike) standing in the 5-tile area defined by the tile the rock landed on and its four adjacent ones.
- Killing the Fire Slinger neutralizes its two 'bombs'.
- In case a unit is found in the 5-tile areas of both Shatterstones, it will take double damage. Sometimes both Shatterstones are thrown on the same tile; that would make the tile glow brighter.
- Large (2x2) units will only take up to 2 Strength & 2 Armor damage from a single Shatterstone.
- Shatterstone increases the effective range of Fire Slingers to 6 tiles.