Abilities Unique to the Trilogy
Throughout the Banner Saga trilogy many characters have abilities that are unique to them in particular, and are in a similar way uniquely powerful. At times, several characters share a class made specifically for the installment they're in and going forward (but aren't in the debut title The Banner Saga: Factions). These are shown separately.
Since this article lists abilities for all three games, expect spoilers throughout.
- 1 The Banner Saga 1
- 1.1 Character Unique
- 1.2 Class Unique
- 2 The Banner Saga 2
- 2.1 Character Unique
- 2.1.1 Passive Ability | Frenzy
- 2.1.2 Active Ability | Cull the Weak
- 2.1.3 Active Ability | Bear Rage
- 2.1.4 Passive Ability | Shield Mastery
- 2.1.5 Active Ability | Champion
- 2.1.6 Active Ability | Shield Smash
- 2.1.7 Active Ability | Call Bear
- 2.1.8 Active Ability | Runic Gale
- 2.1.9 Active Ability | Breeze
- 2.2 Class Unique
- 2.1 Character Unique
- 3 The Banner Saga 3
The Banner Saga 1[edit | edit source]
Character Unique[edit | edit source]
Active Ability | Mark Prey[edit | edit source]
- By slashing at an adjacent enemy target with his knife, the Hunter does a small amount of Armor Break damage and then focuses the attacks of his allies on the target enemy.
- Any allies within attack range of the victim instantly attack after Rook deals break damage.
Active Ability | Thread the Needle[edit | edit source]
- By selecting an enemy in a straight line up to 5 spaces, Alette shoots through every character in the way, doing normal damage to each, in addition to bonus and Puncture damage.
Active Ability | Battering Ram (Warrior)[edit | edit source]
- While Battering Ram is an ability common to Shieldbangers, Iver can use it with and without a shield, bopping people with his head.
- The Strongarm smashes an adjacent unit with his shield knocking it back up to 4 tiles and pushing it through anyone in the way. Battering Ram does Armor damage to the target, adding 1 more Armor damage for each unit it passes through.
- The ability can be used on both friend or foe, making it versatile in many situations by changing a unit's position on the board.
Class Unique[edit | edit source]
Landsman | Passive Ability | Light Step[edit | edit source]
- The landsman uses his superior dexterity to move around bodies, allowing him to pass through, but not stop on, any allies.
- Light step can help a crafty landsman get safely into position behind armored allies before going in for the strike, or escape from a dangerous position.
Spearman | Passive Ability | Embolden[edit | edit source]
- Each kill the Spearman makes encourages allies to fight harder, granting 1 to the Spearman and any adjacent allies.
- This ability is made effective by making use of spears' range of 2, as they can hide behind allies and make kill-strikes to regain willpower.
Landsman | Active Ability | Rally[edit | edit source]
- The warden is an expert of city warfare, darting in and out to be useful where he's needed.
- Rank 1: grant an ally 2 willpower
- Rank 2: grant an ally 4 willpower
- Rank 3: grant an ally 6 willpower
- While he doesn't use a bow like the hunter, Rally allows him to grant willpower to allies when they'll need it most, making an invaluable support character.
- Since Rally grants 2 per 1 spent, using the Horn on this unit can make it more efficient.
Spearman | Active Ability | Impale[edit | edit source]
- Rank 1: Bleed and Knock-back 1 tile
- Rank 2: Bleed and Knock-back 2 tiles
- Rank 3: Bleed and Knock-back 3 tiles
- This can be especially deadly if bleeding characters are moved against their will, such as Dredge slingers using the Back Off ability. Take heed, knock-back by Impale will not push the target through other units, unlike Battering Ram or Mule Kick. Bleeding damage is not received for the tiles knocked-back by Impale's 'kick'.
The Banner Saga 2[edit | edit source]
Character Unique[edit | edit source]
Passive Ability | Frenzy[edit | edit source]
- The Berserker first attacks the enemy target's Armor or Strength, as directed, then does a Strength attack against a random adjacent target, friend or foe.
- Because the second attack strikes a random target, care must be taken around allies, but if only a single target is in range, that target will always receive both attacks, guaranteeing a double strike.
- Keep in mind, Folka has a special exception to Frenzied attacks, and will never take damage from Bolverk. This makes them a powerful duo.
Active Ability | Cull the Weak[edit | edit source]
- As long as he has Willpower and continues to kill targets, Bolverk can continue to use this ability each Turn, cutting a swath through the battlefield.
Active Ability | Bear Rage[edit | edit source]
Additionally, the Berserker counter-attacks any melee blows from enemies brave enough to strike at him.
- Rank 1: All adjacent enemies suffer a temporary -1 Armor penalty and move 3 tiles away from the Berserker; Frenzied counter-attack.
- Rank 2: All adjacent enemies suffer a temporary -2 Armor penalty and move 3 tiles away from the Berserker; Frenzied counter-attack.
- Rank 3: All adjacent enemies suffer a temporary -3 Armor penalty and move 3 tiles away from the Berserker; Frenzied counter-attack.
Passive Ability | Shield Mastery[edit | edit source]
- The Shieldmaiden's shield Absorbs all Strength damage onto her Armor until it is destroyed. She only starts taking Strength damage When her Armor is down to zero.
- This means that if Folka had 14 and was hit by a 16 Dredge, Folka would lose 2 armor and no strength.
- Shield Mastery is great at preventing chip damage, and if well-maintained, makes Folka a late-game superstar.
Active Ability | Champion[edit | edit source]
- The Shieldmaiden stands ready to insert herself between her allies and any attacking enemy. Adjacent allies have all damage from attacks against them halved, but the Shieldmaiden also receives a half-damage attack from the same enemy.
- Rank 1: Allies protected.
- Rank 2: Allies protected; +2 to self for one Round.
- Rank 3: Allies protected; +4 .
- For maximum effect, keep as many allies adjacent to Folka as possible. When any adjacent ally is attacked, Champion will protect them, while using her Shield Mastery to Absorb Strength damage onto her Armor.
Active Ability | Shield Smash[edit | edit source]
- Folka gains Shield Smash when promoted to Rank 6.
- The Shieldmaiden smashes her shield against a single adjacent target. Target and all units adjacent to target (except Folka!), friend or foe, take normal Armor Break damage from the force of the attack according to the Shieldmaiden's BRK stat.
- Without her shield she loses her passive ability, Shield Mastery.